Sunglasses, commonly referred to as ”sun glas” in Swedish, have become an indispensable accessory in our daily lives. Not only do they protect our eyes from harmful UV rays, but they also add a touch of style to our outfits. In this article, we will delve into the world of sunglasses, exploring their history, types, and the importance of choosing the right pair for your face shape and lifestyle.
The evolution of sunglasses
Sunglasses have a rich history dating back to ancient times. The Roman emperor Nero is believed to have used emerald lenses to shield his eyes from the sun’s glare during gladiator competitions. Fast forward to the 18th century, and James Ayscough experimented with tinted lenses to help with various vision impairments. However, it wasn’t until the 1930s that sunglasses gained popularity as a fashion accessory, thanks to the movie industry.
Types of sunglasses
Today, there is a wide array of sunglasses available to suit different preferences and needs:
- Aviators: Known for their teardrop-shaped lenses, aviators are a classic choice that complements a variety of face shapes.
- Wayfarers: These iconic frames, popularized by Ray-Ban, have a distinct trapezoidal shape and suit both men and women.
- Cat-Eye: Cat-eye sunglasses are characterized by upswept frames, giving them a retro and glamorous look, ideal for adding a touch of vintage flair to any outfit.
- Wraparound: These sunglasses provide maximum coverage, making them perfect for sports and outdoor activities.
- Polarized: These lenses reduce glare from reflective surfaces, making them excellent for driving and water activities.
Choosing the right sunglasses for your face shape
When it comes to choosing sunglasses, it’s important to consider your face shape to find a pair that complements your features:
|Face Shape||Suggested Sunglass Styles|
|Round||Angular frames like square or rectangular shapes help add definition to soft features.|
|Oval||Most styles, including aviators and wayfarers, complement this versatile face shape.|
|Heart||Try cat-eye or aviator styles to balance a wider forehead and narrower chin.|
|Square||Round or oval frames soften strong angles and add a touch of elegance.|
Protecting your eyes from uv rays
One of the primary functions of sunglasses is to shield your eyes from harmful UV rays. When choosing sunglasses, opt for pairs that offer 100% UV protection to ensure your eyes are well taken care of.
Caring for your sunglasses
To extend the lifespan of your beloved sun glas, consider the following tips:
- Always store them in a protective case when not in use.
- Clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner to avoid scratches.
- Avoid placing them face down to prevent scratches on the lenses.
- Never leave them in a hot car, as extreme heat can warp the frames.
When it comes to selecting the ideal sunglasses, it’s not just about style, but also about functionality. Consider your face shape, lifestyle, and the level of UV protection provided. With the right pair of sunglasses, you can make a bold fashion statement while ensuring your eyes stay safe from the sun’s harmful rays.
Frequently asked questions
Can I wear sunglasses on cloudy days?
Yes, it’s recommended to wear sunglasses on cloudy days as well. UV rays can penetrate clouds, so your eyes still need protection.
Do all sunglasses provide UV protection?
No, not all sunglasses offer adequate UV protection. It’s essential to check for labels indicating 100% UV protection.
Are expensive sunglasses better than affordable ones?
Not necessarily. The price of sunglasses often reflects the brand and style. You can find affordable sunglasses with excellent UV protection and style.
Se även nedan: